PIZZA DOUGH (based on Jamie Oliver's recipe)
We use this recipe every Friday. It's become an institution in our house, we have pizza every Friday, with a glass of nice wine for the adults, it's our way of starting the weekend. The boys love rolling their own pizza base and choosing their own toppings. Some friends even stop over for a slice of pizza and a glass of wine on their way home from work.
400g flour (tipo '00' is best, but plain normal flour also works)
100g semolina flour
1/2 Tbsp fine sea salt
1 sachet dried yeast
1/2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
325ml lukewarm water
1) In a bowl, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave in a warm place for a few minutes.
2) Sieve the flours and salt into a large shallow dish (or on a clean surface) and make a well in the middle. Pour the yeast mixture into the middle and using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.
3) Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of the dough, then cover with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place (I put it in the oven at 30 or 40 degrees celcius) for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.
4) Remove dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it a bit.
5) Roll the amount of dough you need for a base, and roll it until thin.
Et voila! You've got a beautiful base for your favourite toppings. Enjoy!